Sat 5 Aug 23 - Finch Hatton
Weather: 16 Deg with a slight breeze switching between sunny, cloudy, light drizzle and clear throughout the day, reaching 22 Deg. By evening it was cloudless, still and fresh, a nice way to end our last day at Neem Hall before we move on tomorrow.
After breakfast this morning, Noel and I went for a drive into Mirani, a small sugar cane town, about 24 km towards Mackay. About the only things of interest here are the old railway station and the Mirani Museum with a collection of historical artefacts from the Pioneer Valley. Noel bought a few ingredients from the small store to bake a cake this afternoon, then we drove back towards Finch Hatton, stopping in Gargett for coffee at a roadside van on the way - it was surprisingly was quite enjoyable.
We then returned to the van for lunch, after which I left Noel behind to do some cooking, while I drove back up to Eungella and Broken River to spot some Platypus. Because they are so shy, the best time to see Platypus is either at dawn or dusk, or when overcast or cloudy. It was cloudy today, and I saw quite a lot, but they were all surfacing on the opposite side of the pond, so I couldn't get any clear close-up shots. It was still exciting to see them in the wild. After picking off a few leaches that had attached themselves to my legs, I drove back to the Sky Window Walkway for wonderful clear views along the Pioneer Valley. It's sad to think that sometime in the not too distant future, everything that I could see below me at the bottom of the mountain would be dammed and filled with water. I continued my drive back to the Eungella Chalet, stopping briefly to take a few photos, then down the mountain and back at the van. A cup of tea and piece of fresh (still warm) banana bread, then I went for one last walk through the nearby cane fields. When I got back, Noel and I sat outside and enjoyed a refreshment, then I starting to pack away the awning and outdoor furniture in preparation for our departure tomorrow morning, a short drive of less than 70km to Mt Ossa to visit my Aunt and Uncle for a few days on their property.
 |
| A morning drive about 24km towards Mackay to Mirani, a small sugar town in the centre of the Pioneer Valley. Not much here apart from an old unused railway station and a few grumpy locals |
 |
| Mirani War Memorial and old railway station |
 |
| Old Mirani Railway Station |
 |
| Coffee stop at Gargett on the way back to Finch Hatton - A nice brew from the coffee van |
 |
| Brew stop at Gargett and a look through the community arts and crafts gallery. |
 |
| With weather clearing I chanced another drive up to Eungella to see if i could spot any platypus. |
 |
| Arrival at Broken River, about 5km past the Eungella Chalet for Platypus viewing. Apparently it's almost certain to spot them at dawn or dusk and when cloudy. It wasn't dawn or dusk, but it was overcast, and even drizzling. |
 |
| ...and I certainly did spot several, although they could have been closer to get a clearer photo. Still, it's always exciting to spot these shy little creatures. |
 |
| Love to see these cute little creatures in the wild. |
 |
| This guy was cute too - enjoying a brief period of sunshine |
 |
| Broken River Platypus viewing platform |
 |
| Broken River |
 |
| Eungella Sky Window Walkway |
 |
| The Sky Window Walkway - view to the road up to Eungella |
 |
| The Sky Window Walkway - view along the pioneer Valley to Mackay |
 |
| View along the pioneer Valley to Mackay from the Eungella Chalet with a hang gliding and paragliding ramp |
 |
| View along the pioneer Valley to Mackay from the Eungella Chalet. Compare this photo with yesterdays |
 |
| Eungella Chalet |
 |
| Eungella Chalet |
 |
| View along the pioneer Valley to Mackay from the Eungella Chalet. |
 |
| Eungella Chalet - much nicer conditions than yesterday. |
 |
| Back at Neem Hall enjoying the view from under our awning |
 |
| Enjoying an afternoon beverage under the awning with lovely views - very peaceful |
 |
| On a sadder note (well I think so anyway), there are signs everywhere throughout the valley and at Eungella protesting the proposed new pumped hydro dam. Pumped Hydro is an energy storage system that moves water between two dams, one at the top of a hill and another at the bottom, through a turbine. The proposed two new pumped hydro facilities would be bigger than the Snowy Mountains Hydro-electric scheme, and the largest of its kind in the world (apparently). It will use solar power during the day to pump water up the mountain to store it, then at night water will be released to generate electricity. If it goes ahead, about 50 homes and properties in Netherdale area at the base of the mountain will be flooded. |
Comments
Post a Comment