Mon 31 Jul 23 - Mackay
Weather: 12 Deg and clear with the slightest SW breeze, reaching 23 Deg and remaining clear all day - a beautiful sunny day with, at times, a sneaky breeze.
Another latish night, so the blog had to wait until this morning. Once completed, I did a few chores around the van and called Uncle to check on him. He answered the phone like any other time - happy and cheerful. He said he was feeling better than yesterday, but he did sound a bit more croaky. He did make a point that staff hadn't brought him his breakfast yet. I told him he may need to be a little patient as there are severe staff shortages due to the current outbreak.
At about 10am, I got changed and ready to go for a ride when cousin Fay's husband Phill called and said he was on his way with a hydraulic trolley jack and some car stands to help me lift the van and rotate the wheels. The front wheels are wearing on the outside edge so I decided to rotate the front and back wheels on the some sides. Before lowering the jack, I decided to check wheels for sideways movement, and to my dismay, there was movement similar to what caused overheating issues last year and earlier this year. Short story, is after several calls, there are no mobile mechanics in Mackay to come out and check, so I have booked the van in at Yard 5, a caravan repair business only 2.5km away (the same guy who repaired the fridge 2 years ago when it came adrift along the Bruce Highway). We are due to leave for Finch Hatton on Wed morning, just a short drive away, so we will take it in when we leave to have all wheels / bearings checked. If it was just one wheel, I would have been happy to check the bearings myself, but with 3 wheels having excessive movement, I'll leave it for the experts.
By the time I finished packing everything away, it time to drive out to Eimeo Hotel to meet up with Lyndi and her eldest daughter Amber who I haven't seen for about 30 years. It was a lovely afternoon with great views on a beaut day. Lyndi and Amber even spotted a couple of whales splashing way out in the distance. After a pleasant catchup, we got back to the van at 4.30pm, and as it was too late for a ride, I went for a walk around the nearby ponds and wakepark. Back at the van for dinner, we had a tasty T-Bone steak (for me) and lamb loin chops (for Noel), with salad, then a quiet night watching the Matildas must-win game against Canada (and what a highly disciplined, controlled game the Matildas played - fantastic result at 4 - 0).
 |
| Afternoon catchup at Eimeo Hotel with Lyndi and her other daughter Amber |
 |
| Amazing views at Eimeo Hotel, including distant whales |
 |
| Afternoon walk around local ponds |
 |
| Afternoon walk around local ponds |
 |
| Afternoon walk around local ponds and wakepark |
 |
| Our site at Andergrove Caravan Park - very expensive for what it is, but it is a convenient location for this visit. |
 |
| Andergr ove Caravan Park - Parked between two massive converted bus motorhomes who are long term residents. Plenty of space, still very wet under the surface, but slowly getting firmer. |
Comments
Post a Comment