Fri 7 Jul 23 - Gladstone to Yeppoon (Towed 150km)
Weather: A very moderate 16 Deg at 0600 with a light SW breeze and no clouds, warming to a magnificent 26 Deg. The evening cooled quickly, and the 15 Deg at 2000 felt much fresher.
Early to rise today, and straight up to visit mum for a cup of tea before returning to pack up the van to leave for Yeppoon. After saying goodbye to Mum, we were driving away at 0830 as planned at 0830. The drive to Yeppoon was trouble free along mostly very good roads, but there was a lot of traffic - it seemed like every 2nd or 3rd vehicle had a caravan in tow. We've never seen so many caravans on one short stretch of road. Driving over the hill down into Yeppoon is always a great feeling, but today on a such beautiful sunny day with such calm conditions, it was even more spectacular. We arrived at the Maine Caravan Park in the centre of Yeppoon where we will stay for the next three weeks, and I quickly set up on our large site by 1100. First thing on the agenda, was to lock the car and van and walk down to 'Baked on 44 French Bakery and Delicatessen' for a late mornos and beaut cup of coffee - our favourite when visiting Yeppoon. Back to the van, we finished setting up the awning and privacy screen, then noticed I had forgotten to attach a bungee cord with carabiner on the Stone Stomper when we left Gladstone, so it had dragged along the road to Yeppoon. Needless to say there isn't much left, so I have a minor repair job ahead of me. We then set off to visit Uncle Helmut at Capricorn Gardens Aged Care. We initially had some trouble finding him, but then I remembered happy hour is at 1400 on Fridays, and sure enough, there he was enjoying a glass of wine. We sat with him for 1.5hrs, then he took us for a wander around 'his garden'. After almost 2 hours, we left him and returned to our van, where I noticed our hot water system was leaking madly. It looks like a faulty Hot Water Pressure Release Valve, so I have another repair job to add to the list. The caravan park has ridiculously high water pressure which may be the cause - something I need to investigate before I swing into action. I went off for a shortish late afternoon walk along Yeppoon beach, before returning to the van, then we both headed down to the Sailing Club for dinner. Being school holidays, it is still very busy, and the only table available was outdoors, where it was quite fresh, and very noisy with flocks of parrots in the pine trees across the road, and all the young kids running amok in the nearby playground. We don't go out for dinner often, and unfortunately, our meals tonight were very ordinary, so I can't imagine that we'll be racing out for dinner again anytime soon. It was nice for a change though. Tomorrow, my brother Jason and his family will join us at Capricorn Gardens for an early celebration of Uncle's 94th birthday which is on Monday.
 |
| First of many visits to Uncle Helmut at Capricorn Gardens Aged Care on a beautiful day |
 |
| Capricorn Gardens Aged Care |
 |
| He wasn't in his room; he wasn't out walking, then I remembered happy hour at 1400 on Fridays, and there he was enjoying a glass of vino. |
 |
Just 3 days shy of 94, he's looking well.
|
 |
| Our parking spot for the next three weeks at the Main Caravan Park in Yeppoon. A small and dated park, but central and convenient, especially for daily visits to Uncle. |
 |
| A late afternoon walk along Yeppoon Beach |
 |
| A beautiful afternoon at Yeppoon Beach |
 |
| A beautiful afternoon at Yeppoon Beach |
 |
| A beautiful afternoon at Yeppoon Beach |
 |
| Dinner date at the Sailing Club - dinner outdoors was a little fresh (no tables available indoors) |
Comments
Post a Comment