Day 10: Wed 5 Jul 23 - Gladstone

Wed 5 Jul 23 - Gladstone

Weather: Steady rain fell until about midnight (20mm). It was very warm and humid with no wind all night. At 0600, we stepped outside to a thick fog, 21 Deg feeling like 25 Deg and 100% Humidity, but the day eventually cleared to a very tropical 28 Deg by 1430.

After my first brew, I walked up to visit Mum, then set off over Auckland Hill and Goondoon St (the main street) to the harbour for my daily walk. I returned for breakfast, then Noel took mum out for a little retail therapy for the morning - new shoes, new socks and a pedicure. Meanwhile I caught up on some personal admin, found a cafe where I snagged a rare good coffee, then drove out to BCF and bought a few essentials for the van. Last night in conversation I heard about the Bauxite Red Mud Ponds behind Boyne Island, so as the weather began to clear, I ventured about 10 kms out of town to see what I could see with the drone. I could see the dams in the distance, but I wasn't confident enough to send the drone too far away to get a closer shot, so I didn't get a very good view, or appreciation of the size of the dams. I looked on the internet and found some stunning photos of the red dams with a brilliant red sky as back drop, and morning red sun rising over the red mud. They looked spectacular, but I was happy enough with what I managed today given the conditions. Back at the van, the afternoon had cleared nicely, and it became a beautiful, but very humid afternoon. With time to spare, I climbed on the bike for a quick, but pleasant ride around the harbour through Spinnaker park and back home again. Afterwards, I enjoyed a couple of Wards Special Ales for sundowners at home with my brother, followed by a very tasty Porterhouse Steak for dinner, then we returned to the van for another early night. Tomorrow is our last day in Gladstone before we head to Yeppoon for 3 weeks on Friday.


An eerie foggy morning, unusually warm and humid for this time of year, even for Gladstone

A very mild and humid morning walk

A very foggy morning walk

Morning walk along Goondoon St - The old Town Hall

Goondoon St finally getting some TLC - Plans for Cruise ship visits in the harbour on the other side of the hill may have something to do with it...$$$

Lovely Old Post Office Clock

Lovely Old Post Office Clock

Drone looking North to South Trees Inlet to the right and road into Gladstone on the left

Drone looking East to Boyne Island Smelter and the Red Mud (Bauxite) Dams. The Red Mud is the Bauxite waste generated during the processing of bauxite in alumina.

Drone looking South with part of the Red Mud (Bauxite) Dams to the left.

Ride around Gladstone on what turned out to be a glorious afternoon - Spinnaker Park




 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 63: Sun 27 Aug 23 - Lightning Ridge

Day 62: Sat 26 Aug 23 - Goodooga to Lightning Ridge

Day 64: Mon 28 Aug 23 - Lightning Ridge to Molong